Quite
frankly, I don’t think I can ever imagine myself standing in the middle of an
Olympics challenge.
I cannot
imagine having to carry within myself such a humungous amount of hope to win at
that final challenge and yet all the while having to also live with the
knowledge that everything I have trained and worked so hard for can possibly be
disintegrated in just a few moments’ notice.
And above
all that, I have the hopes from millions of supporters and an entire country on
my back, all sitting religiously in their plastic chairs in mamak stalls half an hour before my
every match so they can watch my every action. All of whom are praying for me
to win.
And my
only way of repaying this loyal gesture is to
win.
Winning
- such a simple solution that requires a tremendous amount of effort plus a
dash of luck, which at times is elusive.
No, I
can’t imagine myself in Lee Chong Wei’s very expensive sports shoes.
His loss
definitely resonated deeply within the hearts of every Malaysian. That final
set was so close it was utterly heartbreaking to watch him lose. My level of
sadness was at CAN-CRY-LEVEL.
And
yet even in his loss, he did what many leaders of Malaysia have not quite
succeeded in doing for decades – unite Malaysians on one platform.
He is
possibly the one stranger that Malaysians have ever prayed so hard for. Obviously
our population cannot beat that of China’s so that may or may not have been a
disadvantage (ha-ha). But the very fact that he played so well despite
sustaining a previous injury was enough to move the hearts of the people.
When
I prayed for this win, I prayed because I thought Malaysia needs a win and that
Chong Wei deserves it this time.
I
thought that we needed this win because it really would have been nice to hear “Negaraku”
playing in the Olympics for once. I thought that we needed it because it would
be awesome to go out beaming in the streets tomorrow, declaring that we have
made history and be totally united in that glorious moment of joy.
I thought
we deserve it because Chong Wei has trained so hard and has come so far. I thought
we deserve it because we would certainly parade the streets and appreciate this
win more than China (Dude, seriously. Our gold medal count is zero!)
As
it turned out, it wasn’t quite time yet. And I realise I am not one to say who
deserves a win more than the other.
But
what is really touching and essentially, it is also what really matters, is
that all Malaysians can still gather round to console this one Malaysian who
has tried so hard to perform in the Olympics platform but failed at the very
end; one that has carried the hopes of all Malaysians but fell short of
expectations.
We are
a unique community, us Malaysians.
No society
is as forgiving of a loss as Malaysians are tonight.
And for
me, it is highly encouraging that I belong to a community that still holds on to
the view that if you have tried your best, no one can blame you.
Chong
Wei has lost a match. And at the end of the day, that is all he has lost. At
the same time, he has gained the respect of so many and lost not a single drop
of his honour. :’)
#still
proud of how Lee Chong Wei performed tonight :)



No comments:
Post a Comment