Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cabbage story

Overheard in church,

A: Watch Inception! It's soooo good!

B: Really ah? You should watch Constipation - It's not out yet.

LOL!


I am finally back in Kuching! I've had my share of kolo mee so life is more or less complete. I'm still waiting for my dose of laksa.

Went to visit the band this morning. :) They look okay. The paint on the sousaphone is cracking, one of the screws got loose, the knob on the bass guitar is missing, the dent I caused on Stupid is still there... yup. Things are still normal and well. But today's gonna be the last time I visit them until next year. My inception didn't work~!

I don't understand why holidays are so few. I'm missing 3 classes next week. Was only supposed to only miss one but the time table just had to change the day before I left.

Anyway, I want to tell the story of when my house decided to cook steamboat a few weeks ago.

I don't know why but I constantly find myself tangled up hilarious and embarrassing incidents (like travelling the wrong way in LRT). But never mind. I live and I learn.

So, my house decided to cook steamboat this one lovely weekend. We went to shop at Mydin (which is something like Giant) for ingredients. My housemates bought two large cabbage, 300g of meatballs, some chicken and hot dogs. Sound reasonable?

Sure thing!

Except for the two large cabbage part.

So we went home and got the cabbage ready. We peeled and washed. We cut and boiled. We borrowed a steamboat set from another house and got ready our bowls.

Btw, did I mention that we ran out of places to store the cabbage? We peeled like one HUGE bag of cabbage leaves. And we expect ourselves to finish all that because we rarely cook.

Torture, I tell you. No joke!

To my fellow juniors who are about as smart as me: Just remember that nobody in their right mind will finish even one whole cabbage in one meal, okay!

We cooked for at least 4 rounds of cabbage with the steamboat set and a rice cooker (so you can add up and conclude that we cook for a minimum of 8 rounds). And I'll tell you that the bag of cabbage is so magical like Mary Poppin's bag - it never seemed to have a bottom!

We cooked and cooked. We ate and ate in a seemingly never-ending cycle. Pit Yung went to cook mee sedap at one point because she got so sick of cabbage but that didn't help much besides making us more full than we already were.

When Kim came to visit, we practically forced her down to eat and gave the remaining cabbage for her unit to cook. Her statement was:

Wah. You are all so li hai! My house can't even finish half a cabbage for dinner!

=____="

(we know, Kim, we know - we just learnt it the hard way!)

No comments: