Monday, August 02, 2010

MSLS 2010

For the past weekend, I took the trouble and the risk to travel to Ampang Park alone via public transport in KL in the earlier hours of the morning and the later hours at night to attend the 4th Malaysian Student Leaders Summit in Nikko Hotel.

Yes, I was hesitant to attend, especially after Louis told me that he couldn't make it due to some UEM camp. So I did some deliberation until I saw in Facebook one day that Tian Feng was going. So I asked around some more and ultimately I figured that I wouldn't end up looking like a lost sheep there. So I went.

And a whole lot of trouble I went through as well. My first day of travelling alone was actually quite dramatic.

I walked to take a bus from Summit at about 7.00 a.m. After waiting for about 10 minutes, Rapid KL U63 that was going to take me to KL Sentral finally arrived. So I hopped on and asked for my ticket.

Guess what the driver told me?

"Pergi Sentral kena naik bas di stesen seberang jalan. Ini sudah lepas Sentral."

Say what!

I thought I was going to diserang heart attack.

So I ran down from the bus, up the overhead bridge and ran to the bus stop across the road and waited for another 5 minutes. I decided that I couldn't risk wasting anymore time so I took a bus down to Subang KTM instead (because that bus came first).

I got down at Subang Carrefour because everyone else was going down. But right after I asked for directions to walk to the KTM, the bus driver called me back up because the bus would eventually stop at KTM. So nice of the guy, huh?

Reached the KTM. I bought my ticket to KL Sentral. Although the train had little delay, it arrived at 7.50 a.m. Did I mention that the event start at 8.00 a.m.?

I reached KL Sentral at 8.05 a.m.

Panicked.

Decided that I would take a cab from then on to save some time.

Then guess what?

I couldn't find the taxi stand.

I know, right!

I surprised myself too, with my complete lack of sense of direction despite having taken taxis from KL Sentral countless of times with my family. -.-"

SO! I asked this MAS guy. Now, either he was really trying to help me by advising that I take the LRT or he also didn't know where the taxi stand was. Or perhaps, on a more optimistic and more reasonable and one that I would like to believe view, God was trying to help me find the best way without having to spend a lot of money. KL at 8.00 something in the morning can be super jammed even on a Saturday, I suppose.

So I ran back to the LRT line (which I left just 8 minutes ago!). It was a loooonnnggg line. So I took a shot the machine. Luckily I had enough coins in my pocket to purchase a RM 2 ticket to Ampang Park (compare that with RM 20+ of taxi fare!).

I quickly ran up the stairs, following the sign that says "Kelana Jaya" (coz that's the line I was supposed to be taking). The moment I reached the top, I saw that the LRT was already there. So, being completely panicky and completely new to this whole concept of "there-are-actually-two-platforms-and-you-may-be-standing-at-the-wrong-one", I ran in.

It was the wrong one.

After 3 minutes, when the train reached Bangsar, I looked at the travel route - Why was I travelling backwards to Subang!

I could have sworn I was going to diserang heart attack again.

Asked a lady about the line to Ampang Park and she told me get down at the next station to change platforms. -.-" So I got down at Abdullah Hukum and changed LRT. Took 8 stops from there to Ampang Park instead of 6 from KL Sentral. =__="

So by the time I reached Ampang Park, it was already 8.45 a.m. <-- SUPER LATE.

Thankfully Nikko Hotel was right across the street so I made it there at 8.50 a.m., before 9.00. Hey, at least I wasn't an hour late! And the opening address is by a VIP. So I ought to be fine unless in the unlikely event, a VIP actually decided to turn up early.

The event was scheduled to start at 9.00 a.m. anyways when I got there. Haha. Thank God. So I registered myself and met Hon Yen, Tian Feng, Wen Huei, Jia Ming, Munes, Wen Zhen as well as Tian Feng's friend, Josephine and Jia Ming's junior, Joshua.

So what have I profited from the summit?

Lots of free gifts for one, including a universal adapter from Axiata, a 4 gb pendrive from MCC and an Adidas bagpack from British American Tobacco (not that I support smoking).

I also met some of our ministers in the flesh, including our Trade Minister (Datuk Mustapa), our UMNO Youth Chief (Khairy), our Home Minister (Datuk Seri Hishammuddin) and even our Deputy Prime Minister. I also met the founder of Nuff Nang (Timonthy Tiah), the editors of NST, Malaysia Kini, Malaysian Insider and Malay Mail as well as Jason Lo (Munes calls him J.Lo! Haha!).

I also learnt some lame jokes from Jia Ming along the way. But that's besides the point.

We had free lunch and breakfast from the hotel so it was good. We also had group discussions and at the end of the day, a cert. I didn't win the free AirAsia tickets to Phuket and Bali. Dang. Some KY super seniors currently studying in the UK won though.

At the end of the day, I sort of wondered if I would ever catch up with those people again, especially after they leave to UK. So it was a little sad.

But erm... no regrets for missing out on the 15th Malaysian Law Conference (which the Bar Council so kindly sent me an invitation).

Or MTV World Stage.



Ok la. Sad a bit la I missed out World Stage.

A bit. It was in Sunway some more!!

But oh wells. At least I have all that free stuff. =)

No comments: