Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Maids? No thanks!

As I type this, there is a cleaning lady outside my room, mopping and wiping and dusting and sweeping any visible surface area within her reach. When she first entered, I was seated on the living room floor, happily munching away on my Subway breakfast while watching a Singaporean drama on 8TV. Words can’t even describe the awkwardness I felt as I sat there, chilling and feeling completely at home while this small, young lady hummed away, arranging all the food and containers left so recklessly on the dining table after breakfast.

As rude and self-centred as this may sound, it felt a little as though my personal space was intruded.

There is always this awkward moment where I pause to wonder: Okay, there is a person cleaning my house now – what am I suppose to do? Do I pick up that piece of rubbish over there? Do I continue sitting here, ignoring her? Do I offer help? Nah. That’d be weird. Do I go and hide in my room then? Wait, would that be too rude? Aaarrggghhh!!

I was really enjoying myself with the TV during my “alone time”. It kinda feels a bit like home; as in Kuching home. And then this came and I eventually chose to retire back into my room.

And to make the awkward situation even more awkward, right after I entered the bathroom, she came in just in time to start cleaning the toilet. So barely relieved, I exited because I was feeling too pai seh.

I don’t think I will ever get a maid in the future. =(

2 comments:

Elaine said...

:) Just say hi to them! and have a chat with them. it'll make it less awkward and they're really nice too. :)

Elaine said...

kinda like how we do it back in st 3 when we say hi to the pak ciks and mak ciks. ^^ that's where i learnt it. ;)