Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Power of A Call

I took a test in tickle.com the other day to find out what drives me the most.

Your Key Motivator, the thing that really drives you to success in life, is Connection.

You, more than others, look for ways to belong to a group, to have fun, to care for others, and occasionally, to be the center of attention. You thrive when you see the opportunity to interact with friends, colleagues, and family, and you tend to want to soak up everything you can about people and relationships. Perhaps it's because you recognize that learning about interpersonal dynamics will, in turn, make you a better person — more caring, more empathetic and more honest with yourself.

Oohh... it sounds rather accurate. Hahaha!

Anyways, today is my school's Parents' Day and is about the best day I've had in this week. Today, I've helped Koperasi to sell 100 files to random parents. I never knew one morning of randomly greeting people with, "Buy a file to keep your reports?" would bring about so much joy. =P

I'd gone to school this morning with not the slightest idea of how I would help Koperasi. I actually thought we'd be selling at the actual place! But nooo... Mauldia and I were to carry 2 tables and set up our "stall" by the notice board between the Junior Lab 1 and the hall. So strategic ar that place - laluan perdagangan antara parents going up the hall, parents going to science labs, parents going to classroom block and parents coming and going from the alley to St. Jude. The Interactors were also selling drinks that morning in front of the Music Room.

As we were just getting started, I had sat alone at my miserable spot while watching those Interactors (a big bunch of them!) laughing about while getting ready. =.='' So kolien lar! Business started slow as we were a bit blur on how to promote the files. Some more, Mauldia and I had to become the kolien mangsa of an angry parent. +_+''

Us: Buy a file to keep the report?
Parent: !@#$% Kompulsori ka?
Us: *blur* Ah?
Parent: COMPULSURY KAH!? COMPULSORY!!
Us: Err.. tak...
Parent: *stomps off*

O_o''' Don't wanna buy, just say lar. Aiyo...

Things started getting better after awhile though! Pretty soon, we were already flashing money to the Interactors just to kek them. =P=P

Interactors: Eh! *flashes 10 ringgit notes* =D=D
Us: *flashes a 50 ringgit note* HA! =P
Andrea: Eh! What is that? 1 ringgit ha? I cannot see!

LOL!

But I did manage to meet a lot of people that morning. I'd met my primary school teacher (who still remembers me - surprisingly) and also Julia, who will be off to Taylors soon.
Then there were also some random people who have really made my day.

Like this parent to whom I'd asked to buy a file. She turned out to be a teacher in St Thomas and had remembered me from mooting. She congratulated me and said we did really well on that day. My heart had grown so big with gratitude. =)

Then, there was also this lady who kept saying that making a school file is such a good idea but when Amanda asked, "So do you want to buy?", she answered no and stood behind our miserable "stall" (consists of 2 tables nia) for some long minutes until her niece(?) came down from the hall. She then asked her niece if she wanted to buy and ended up leaving with 2 of the files. Haha. Not bad.

And there was also this funny parent...

Me: Buy a file to keep your daughter's report?
Parent: *calls to daughter but daughter walks away* Aiya, never mind. She doesn't seem to care, but I care! I'll buy one.
Me: Ok! =D *slips in the report for her and gives her the file* Thank you! Have a good morning!
Parent: I don't think I'll have a very good morning!

LOL!!!!

But I think the best one has to be Kher Ching's mother la. =P

Amanda: Who's the best customer? Kher Ching's mother?
Me: Ah? Ah, ya! Haha!

Earlier that morning,

Us: Kher Ching! Buy file!
Kher Ching: My mother don't want to buy!
Amanda: Later I ask your mother buy!
Kher Ching: Ask lor!
Amanda: *sees her mother in front* Lipyi! Call her!
Me: Oh! *shouts* AUNTTYYY~~!!
Her mother: *turns around*
Me: Buy a file? *beams* =D
Her mother: Ok la! Just because you call me, I'll buy! Actually up there got people asked me to buy already but I didn't want to. But just because you call me! Your persuasiveness is strong! You see ah, the power of a call!


Amanda and I couldn't stop grinning with victory - we berjaya made her buy! Ahahahaha!

Today is a nice break from all those intensive choral speaking practices held this week. Competition is next week and practices within the week had got rather stressful, even for me. So if you are kind, do pray for us. =) We'll be indebted to you. Haha.

No comments: