Dear me in the future when 18 will feel like an age you've never gone through,
I have decided to update you once again on the little joys of being young. I hope I'm not rubbing salt on your wound. Oh wait, I hope you're not wounded by the fact that you're aging! Because like Madam Euphrasia used to say, you've got to embrace aging! I hope you remember Madam Euphrasia. She was your Penolong Kanan in high school who sometimes wears the colour black for what she calls "the slimming effect". =)
But enough of the introduction. It's been a year since you've left the comforts of high school and the memories of high school are already sort of fading. If it has completely faded for you, you can refresh your memory with the link to [my very first letter] to you! :D But no worries, there are some new ones to be created after all. Tonight I shall be going over to Francoise's for caroling. :)
I do hope you remember Francoise. If you don't, she is the girl who after studying in Australia for about 10 months, has forgotten what ice water is called in BM. Instead of ordering "air sejuk", she ordered "air lemeh". Lemeh, according to Maryann (and the rest of us who are still safely residing in Malaysia and therefore have relatively sound BM), is non-existent in the kamus. There is Lemah and there is Remeh. And as much as our Malaysian tendency to rojak words up to come up with a completely new meaning (like Rubang - rusa terbang. Saw it in Air Asia in-flight magazine. Apparently Tony Fernandez employs lame people too! =D), I highly doubt a weak and trivial water exists. She tried to defend herself by saying that she had in her mind "lejuk", which I guess is supposed to be better than lemeh because at least it's 50% right!
But as we grow older, more and more of those "catch-up sessions" materialise themselves into our calendar. Just awhile ago, I was supposed to go for early supper at Jase Tea Room. I reached there the earliest so I texted Maxine:
Adakah kamu sudah sampai? Saya sudah di sini dan ada sedikit lonely.
To which Max replied, rather heroically:
Ok! I'll save you from your loneliness soon! Tunggu saya selamat!
And she appeared half an hour later.
Talk about Malaysian time huh. -___-"
Luckily Francoise and Maryann appeared 5 minutes after you sent that text! So you didn't rot, don't worry. =)
Speaking of Maxine, she is one of your few technology savvy friends. But she has her moments when she completely fails to fathom the full potential of technology. For instance, she was supposed to celebrate her 18th birthday together with her housemate who shares the same birthday as her in Universal Studio, Singapore. But she said that the trip may no longer be possible because her housemate's handphone broke down and she thus cannot confirm the trip.
I had to remind her that there is something called Internet. And Skype. And Zuckerberg's phenomenal creation of Facebook (I wonder if you still use that or has something else like Nosepaper come into being... hm...).
Anyway, Maxine insisted that it wouldn't be the same.
Maxine: It won't be the same mah! Not like spending it together! Staring at the screen is very different okay!
I have to admit I was a little baffled.
Me: I meant using the Internet to contact her to confirm the trip...?
Her: Oh.
Get what I mean when I said she failled to fully grasp the potential of technology? Or maybe she's over-grasped it and thought too far into the future. =P
Anyhoo, I wonder how old you are when you are reading this. Are you facing any mid-life crisis yet? Because if you are, I've got just the things that you can do at this stage of your life! You may have to contact Abigail who is supposed to be your mid-life crisis partner in crime. =D
Last year, Abigail suggested that we dive into shark-infested water like Bella Swan. I had to remind her that as we may possibly be plagued by [beautiful] plumpness, [perfectly straight and at just the right places] wrinkles and [shiny and flowing like in them Rejoice advertisements] white hair, no Jake is going to dive in and save us from the sharks.
Besides, Taylor Lautner is about our age so by the time we're facing mid-life crisis, we may only be saved by a beer-bellied Jake. Eurgh! The horror! I be having nightmares now!
So recently, we revised our plan and kinda settled on bungee jumping. But with a trampoline at the bottom! So at that, I hope your children and spouse are sporting enough to watch.... or on a second thought, you might wanna buy some blindfolds coz they might get eye sores. Or you can bully your husband into jumping with you. Spousal bullying. Haha.
So ya, that's about it. Have a merry little Christmas! May you not be groaning in pain. May you not have rheumatism. May all your merry little wishes come true. And may you remember all the peoples who have changed your life so. :)
Signed,
Ah Lip [21/12/10]
P/S: It's Francoise Kelly Chen's birthday today. =D So happy birthday, Kelly! May you have many more blessed birthdays to come. =)
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Ummm.. "...you might wanna buy some blindfolds coz they might get eye soars." Eyes fly??
OH! English fail!
*embarrassed*
you're NEVER gonna forget about the tunggu-saya-selamat-30-minutes-later thing AREN'T YOU?
Haha. It's unforgettable. And now that it's been penned down and addressed, I'll remember even as I jump on trampoline with Abigail at 50. :D
Post a Comment