Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Those debating days ;)

It's finally come to an end - those debating practising days. Those endless class skipping moments. Those times where we literally lived in the Resource Room.

It's true that those times were hectic. Spending days structuring our speeches. Hours and hours spent looking at the computer looking for information and statistics to back us up. Thank God for our helpers! :) Thank you!

Those days were fun la. I shall miss those times where we chilled there. Rules don't seem to apply when we were there - going to canteen to get food at anytime we wanted with the excuse that we get hungry easily when we work (it's true ok! =P). So there was always an endless supply of food. Hehehe.

The presence of Pn. Sandy made everything cheerer though. We've laughed. We've worked. We've stressed. We've had fun.

And that's all that matters. ;)

How we work... =P

Though the date of the competition was near, the air in the Resource Room was always light. We weren't really so uptight and all. The teachers were helpful too. I like those random moments where we laughed and teacher would go like, "Eee! What noise is that! Like the... you know the truck changing gear? *imitates noise* Hahahahahaha!". That refers to Elaine and me. But mostly to Elaine. =P The truck was her! Haha!

Oh! And the time I randomly declared in the room during lunch break that I wanted to learn to play a harp before I die because of the conversation with Esme the night before,

Me: I want to learn to play a harp before I die!
Someone I can't remember who: Where you get money?
Me: My brother asked me to marry a rich, old, dying old man! (It's true. He said that in my birthday wish. =.='') Then I can retire and play my harp happily. =P
Teacher: Eh! Later the old man abuse you ar! He might have a long life! Ask you to play the harp for him everyday! And you think you can just retire!
Me: O_o'' Oh fine! Then I marry a young and rich man!
Teacher: Young and rich and retarded man? =PP
Me: No la! Young and rich and normal man.
Teacher: (Forgot what she said)
Me: Oh fine! Then I marry a normal man!
Teacher: Then you have to forget the harp!

Damn hilarious moments we've had! Hahaha! Of course that transcript is far from ''cun''. In between there were plenty of other funny statements made by the others in room too regarding my marrying and my harp. Young, rich and retarded man.... Lol! It's funny how people's minds can even travel that far. Hahahaha!

Teacher: I am so anti-climax. Buahahahaha!

Yea... life was good. Some more with all the food shared.

Teacher: Eh! Tomorrow you all still here or not? I'm thinking of bringing biscuits!
Us: Eeee! *immediately got excited and starting making plans*
Teacher: (after hearing our plans) Might as well make potluck! =P
Me: Eh yealar hor! *excited*
Teacher: Eh. Cannot la! This is Bilik Sumber!
Me: +_+'' Whose plan....? *stares*
Teacher: Not me! =P

Bliss. ;)

Anyway, the day finally came on Monday where we travelled to Lundu for our competition. We weren't exactly super prepared - I was still doing my reply speech in the car on the way there because apparently, I had forgotten all about it. Oops? Haha.

Our battlefield - SMK Lundu

First day was ok. We had to go through 2 preliminary rounds but I guess that was a blessing in disguise because we could get use to the surroundings.

Those debaters are nice la. =) God bless them, especially those from Teknik. We chatted for so long after our debate. I feel bad now for having debated the way I did.

Anyway, first day ended well. We won both rounds. The house rejected and accepted the motion. And so we went back to school happy, singing the Campfire Song Song on the way back.

Let's gather round the campfire and sing a campfire song!
Our C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song!

Haha! Addictive song. We spent our time the whole way back just listening to songs and exchanging songs. I tried receiving things with infrared for the first time and it was sooo slow! Not only that, halfway through sending, a message suddenly appeared, "Connection lost". =.=''' Thank God for something called Bluetooth. If I have to use infrared forever, I will cry. =P

And that was it for the first day. Me, Intan and Elaine went to school later that night to prepare for the next day but I did nothing productive. I was too tired to move.

Anyway, the next day, we went to the Resource room again to get on with our last minute preparations. Teachers were very supportive coz many came to visit us and offered their ideas! =D Thank God for these teachers, otherwise our speeches would be like... quote Abigail: Ribena tawar. Hahaha! So yes, we managed to prepare our speeches in time but once again, I didn't prepare for my reply speech. I only prepared it during quarantine time but it was ok. =)

We followed St Joe's bus to Lundu that day. St. Joe was going against BL in Sematan while we were going against GRSS in Lundu so we just tumpang la. We wished each other luck before we left. And there was something like, "If you lose, we don't bring you back!". o_O''

Upon reaching SMK Lundu, we went to our quarantine room, had our lunch and did our last minute preparations.

Our room =)

Preparations ain't bad. I managed to prepare my reply speech in time and before we knew it, time was up. We knew we were facing tough opponents and we knew we must win, so before we left, we told the room,

"We'll come back to you!"

But unfortunately, that couldn't happen.

Yes, we lost. I can't say I'm not disappointed. My heart did drop when the house announced to have rejected the motion. We were thrashed rather badly by the opponent. And that was probably the reason why they won - they thrashed all our arguments to bits. But we did well. We did our best. And I strongly believe that under other circumstances, we would have won.

And so, after losing, we were anxious to know how did St Joe do - they lost as well. Then, we thought they were going to walk to us and walk us back to Kuching coz they said if we lose, we walk back. Lol!

The journey back after that was amusing because we were both talking about how the debate went. I'm too tired to talk about it. I've complained so much over these two days and it's time for me to accept my defeat. Just awhile ago in school during the mooting meeting,

Azureen: So how did the debate went?
Pn Kong: Oh! Don't get her started! She will never finish!

Hahahaha! Well, it's finished now la. =P But nonetheless, I do still believe that under other circumstances, we still could have won. =) There's nothing wrong with a little bit of comfort in my heart.

Abigail: The points were as nice as diluted Ribena!
Joel: Oh... Eeee... that's not nice!
(everyone burst out laughing)

At least on the way back, we had all these funny people to entertain us. The journey home was cut short with a bus filled with active people. =)

Debaters and helpers '08

So yes we lost.

But quote Kelvin:

It was worth the experience.

Damn right. =)

1 comment:

carol said...

hello! haha i looooooooveeeeeee these debate and choral speaking posts! haha and the way you write is so.... teresian lol.

love it :) hehe.

haih i miss my st3 days lol. treasure it, especially your last two years! there's really no place quite like st3... :)

yah i think my sister will be embarrassed that i commented on your blog. hee.